This is Kathy’s healthy and nutritious June grill-out she served for a few of her athletes and friends. This meal is high in protein, and vitamins.
- Cauliflower dip and French bread appetizers
- Mixed green salad and olives
- Grilled shrimp and vegetables
- Wild rice
- Curried Cauliflower Dip
This dip is chocked full of fiber and vitamins. It presents a unique and pleasant taste when partnered with a thick piece of toasted French bread.
- Steam one head of cauliflower until tender
- Blend in one tablespoon of olive oil sauté’ one onion and 1 tbsp. of mustard seeds
- Add 1 tbsp. of curry and 1 tbsp. of honey
- Add ¾ cup of plain yogurt and ¾ cup of sour cream
- Mix and mash together, then chill before serving
- Mixed Green Salad and Olives
- Place a bunch of mixed greens on each person’s salad plate
- Embellish with kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and feta cheese in olive oil (found in your deli section at your grocers)
- Grilled Shrimp and Vegetables (colored peppers, mushrooms and fresh pineapple)
- Grilled Shrimp, Vegetables (colored peppers, mushrooms and pineapple) Over Wild Rice
Plan on serving 6 to 8 large shrimp or about 4 oz. of shrimp per person
Shrimp is an excellent source of vitamin B12 and Omega 3 fatty acids. It is low in fat and high in protein, the perfect combination for heart healthy athletes. Shrimp also offers more than 100 % of your daily requirement for the amino acid, tryptophan, which helps maintain balanced sleep and moods.
Colored peppers are high in vitamins A, C, K and B6. Red peppers pack more vitamin C than an orange! Pineapple is also high in vitamin C and manganese making this bit of sweetness healthy for bones and tissues.
Wild rice found in both Wisconsin and Minnesota is one tasty carbohydrate full of potassium, phosphorus, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. One serving is 166 calories, providing 12 percent of your daily carbohydrate needs, and 6. 5 grams of protein.
- Marinade peeled and uncooked shrimp in a mango vinaigrette for at least two hours or overnight
- Prepare grill and soak skewers in water for a few minutes
- Skewer fresh pineapple, mushroom, red, yellow and green peppers with shrimp
- Spray grill with olive oil and grill skewered until shrimp is pink
- Serve over wild rice.